CHRISTMAS AIR TRAVEL TRENDS
Popular travel days and pricing trends for Christmas
Popular Travel Days
- Travelers typically depart 2-4 days prior to the holiday. These travelers, on average, pay ticket prices of $593 on December 21, $639 on December 22, and $603 on December 23.
- Christmas Eve is the best day to travel. It consistently has the lowest average price per ticket ($527) and is the lightest travel day of the week.
- December 26 has the highest average ticket price of the week at $692.
- December 22 is the busiest air travel day around Christmas, and those travelers pay the second highest average ticket price of the week, $639.
Advanced Booking Price Trends
- Good Buys. Most travelers book between 28 and 60 days prior to Christmas —between October 26 and November 27 — and still get a relatively good price ($561 on average).
- Practical Planners. Travelers booking between 121 days (August 26) and one year prior to the holiday can ensure their tickets, but will pay more (between $616 and $659 on average).
- Best bookings. 61-90 days prior to the holiday (between September 26 and October 25) seems to be the ‘sweet spot’ with prices lower on average ($551) than further advanced bookings.
- Last Minute Travelers. Last-minute travelers get the overall best pricing ($488 on average) at 7-13 days, but availability is likely limited.
*December 19-26 analyzed, regardless of what day of the week is Christmas.