AAA and Briarwood Driving School
A Reputation Earned by Experience
AAA and Briarwood Driving School offers the highest quality driver education and driver improvement programs available. We take the driver education business seriously and have offered a no nonsense approach to teaching students how to drive for more than 65 years. Our goal is simple. Save lives. AAA and Briarwood Driving School provides the highest quality instruction from some of the best instructors in the business. Our curriculum is nationally recognized and discounts are available for AAA members.
ALL Teen Programs require a parent or legal guardian to attend the first 2 hour class with the student.
Teen 38-Hour Program
- Thirty hours of classroom activities, including study materials and the required 4 hours of Drug & Alcohol Awareness training. Provided as well are 8 hours of private, individual on the road instruction in one of our specially equipped training vehicles. Students must be 16 years of age prior to the start of the class session. Please Note- a parent or legal guardian must attend the first 2 hour class.
Graduates receive a free 1-year associate AAA membership if the parent is also a member.
Over 97% of graduates would recommend the AAA Driving School to their peers!
8-Hour Safe Driving and Drug and Alcohol Program
- This 8-hour program fulfills the requirements of the state of Connecticut for license applicants under 18 years of age who choose a Home Training Program. Included in this curriculum is the required 4 hours of Drug & Alcohol Awareness training. A certificate will be awarded to those students successfully completing the course. Please Note- a parent or legal guardian must attend the first 2 hour class.
- Behind-the-wheel training or retraining is provided by a AAA instructor in a dual brake-controlled vehicle.
View our Driving School Video
Adult Safe Driver Course
- This program satisfies the Connecticut requirements of driver education for adults. Eight hours of classroom instruction is provided, and 4 of those hours are Drug & Alcohol Awareness training. Graduates receive a certificate of completion (State of Connecticut form CS-1) that must be presented to the Department of Motor Vehicles in order to schedule a driving test. Students must be 18 years of age or older.
Driver Improvement Program
- This program is designed for fleet drivers, volunteers, first offenders and local, state and federal government employees required to complete a recognized driver improvement program. For experienced drivers up to age 54 this program consists of eight hours of classroom activities and study materials, and it teaches techniques for seeing, communicating, adjusting speed, providing a margin of safety, managing time and space and handling driving emergencies. AAA programs can be tailored to your needs and conducted at your site for 10-30 participants. Please contact the Driving School for details and rates.
Mature Driver Program
- For experienced drivers over 55 years of age, the program is a refresher course to enhance your knowledge of driving. Focusing on 3 key areas-visual scanning techniques, reducing risk and handling emergencies- the curriculum consists of 8 hours of classroom presentations and discussions. Effects of the aging process on the driving task are also discussed. This program does qualify for insurance premium reductions in the State of Connecticut.
AAA On-the-Road Driving Skills Observation
- Intended for licensed drivers, the Skills Observation assesses existing driving skills and habits. After a brief vision screening, approximately 1 hour is spent driving with a AAA Driving Instructor in one of the specially equipped AAA Driver Training cars. A conversation and a written report of the session is provided. The results of the observation remain confidential between the AAA Driving School and the driver.
- Behind-the-Wheel training or retraining is provided by a AAA instructor in a dual brake-controlled vehicle. Lessons are generally 2 hours long, and pickup and dropoff locations vary. This service also includes a brief vision screening.
See what other students and parents are saying about AAA Driving Programs
"I know that after taking Drivers Ed from AAA I was fully prepared for driving, not to mention confident."
"We were so pleased with the seriousness of the way driving was presented we would not consider any other program."
"Driving is a privilege and it is a task to be taken seriously. AAA did a great job in getting this message to both our boys."
"The Driving School instructor made learning maneuverability extremely easy. He broke the process down into several steps which was extremely helpful in mastering the technique."
"I really enjoyed my in-car instructor. I felt like he gave me good tips and prepared me very well for driving."